7:00 am November 13th we arrived at the hospital to get Aden's tonsils and adenoids out, he also got his ear tubes put back in. In this picture we just arrived and got his gown on and were waiting for the nurse to bring in some medicine to help Aden cope with the I.V. The nurse gave him a teddy bear to help him through the operation.
Here he is waiting for the meds to kick in while listening to Veggie Tales on my phone. He just loves their CD.
He got his I.V. in , which went pretty well given he hates to "get holes" and then the nurse took him though the door to get start the anesthesia. It was hard to see him go, I always think of the worst things that can happen and freak myself out, so I tried to keep cool for him and me both!
I had asked the nurses to take a picture of the tonsils so I could scrapbook them. They thought it was cool. I would have taken it myself, but nowadays they don't let you take human tissue out of the operation room unless it is medically needed (pictures for a scrapbook unfortunately did not fall into that category) so the nurses did the honor for us.
Dr. McMaster came in while Aden was getting moved into another room and told me that everything went well (sigh of relief) and that he was glad to take them out because his tonsils were huge. He also said that Aden's adenoids were blocking 90% of his air passage and there was tons of those also. And when he removed his ear tubes to replace them, Aden had a lot of fluid block up in there. So he was optimistic on Aden being a much happier and healthier kids when he heals... (picture of tonsils below)
After the Dr. left, I went back to be there when Aden woke up from the anesthesia. This is always the hard part because when he wakes up he yells and screams and throws his arms and legs around. But the hardest part for me was seeing how swollen he was and the blood was on his ears, mouth and nose. It took him a good 30 minutes of me lying with him in his bed holding him to calm him down. I sang songs to him and rubbed his back while we tried to get him to drink a little bit of water, he fought us the whole time. So we let him sleep for a while.
Mason and Doug came to see how Aden was doing and that cheered up Aden quite a bit. Aden showed Mason his I.V., the oxygen tube and his teddy bear.
Aden playing with the oxygen tube, he hated having it, we ended up giving up on it because it was a battle that I knew I would loose!
On his way out he asked for a wheelchair. He thought that was the coolest thing ever. So here he is in the main lobby of the hospital all smiles because he got to ride in the wheelchair.
Home at last, him and Dad on the couch cuddling.
Okay so the first few days were really rough, Aden fought us every time we tried to get him to drink. We had to literally hold him down and give him water through a syringe, then the second day he started vomiting everything he drank along with blood and scabs, it was so sad and scary for him. We then took him off the Tylenol and Codeine meds and then he was fine. I think it was a bit too hard for his stomach. But now a week after the surgery, Aden is doing great, he is sleeping better and no longer snores a night. Hurray for his future wife!



2 comments:
Poor guy. He is such a tough kid! I can't believe how quickly he started feeling better.
Oh my goodness, that stinks. I'm glad he's feeling better. I totally feel his pain, tell him I'm sorry! I had my tonsils out as a kid, and I've had to have tubes put in my ears twice as an ADULT! It hurts like crazy, but sure makes things better. What a trooper.
Post a Comment